Maintaining the right humidity levels is crucial for the growth and health of plants in a greenhouse, especially in dry or arid climates. That’s where the best humidifier for greenhouse comes into play.
Read on to learn about 4 tested editor-approved options that will help you create the perfect environment for your plants to thrive. So, let’s get started!
Why Humidifiers for Greenhouse
A greenhouse is a structure designed to provide a controlled environment for plants to grow in. It typically consists of transparent walls and a roof that allows sunlight to enter, and it’s equipped with systems for temperature, ventilation, and humidity control.
A few reasons why you should use a humidifier in a greenhouse are:
- To maintain the optimal humidity levels that plants need to grow and thrive.
- The right environment helps plants to retain moisture and nutrients, prevent wilting, and promote healthy growth.
- Helps to deter pests and diseases.
Using a humidifier in your greenhouse also provides other benefits, such as:
- Improving air quality
- Reducing static electricity
- Less water usage
- Helps to maintain moisture levels in the soil
Top Picks for Greenhouse Humidifiers
1. Elechomes SH8830 Cool and Warm Mist Humidifiers
If you are on the lookout for a cool and warm mist humidifier, then the Elechomes SH8830 is the best one out there.
- It has a very modern design with a clean look and feels.
- There is a built-in humidistat present that automatically regulates the humidity from 55 to 68% and can be manually adjusted from 30 to 90% when in normal mode.
- With a 72-hour runtime, you don’t need to refill frequently which makes it quite good for indoor plants.
- Due to a 360-degree swivel nozzle, the cold mist is distributed evenly across the area.
- It contains a double seating system that prevents any leakage.
Auto Mode, Auto Shut Off, Top Fill Design
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
- Sturdy build quality
- Easy to clean
- It is easy to set a desired humidity level
- Reasonable pricing
- The remote allows you to change the settings without going near it
- Some people reported leakage issues
2. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Humidifier
The Pure Enrichment MistAire is an amazing cool mist humidifier that comes with a ton of great features. It is one of the best plant humidifiers. Here’s why:
- It offers long-lasting relief due to the moisturization time of 10-24 hours.
- With its 1-gallon tank, it easily covers open areas up to 500 sq. ft without any issues.
- You also get a night light as well that is great for night time and it also allows you to switch between a blue, green or red light.
- If you remove the water tank or the water level is low, this cool mist humidifier automatically shuts off.
- Pure Enrichment provides a 5-year warranty on this humidifier.
- In order to control the moisture level, you get a control knob. Rotating it clockwise increases the output and vice versa.
- It is really quiet
Night Light, Quiet, Auto Shut Off
BPA-Free PS and ABS Plastic
- The fine mist works best for the plants to absorb
- Maintenance is really easy
- The design is sleek and not very bulky
- Affordable price with a Great Warranty
- Large capacity provides continuous long-term use
- White dust tends to build up if distilled water is not used with these ultrasonic humidifiers
3. AIRCARE MA1201 Evaporative Humidifiers
If you are looking for the best plant humidifiers with a compact design and large capacity, then the AirCare MA1201 is a great choice.
- It has a large coverage of about 3600 sq. ft and is great for tropical plants.
- Features a big tank capacity and therefore provides a 36-hour runtime.
- You get 4 different fan speeds with an additional auto mode as well.
- The auto-shutoff feature is also present that switches off the humidifier once the water level is low.
- There is a check filter and refill indicator present for easy refilling or changing the filter.
- These cool mist humidifiers come with a caster that makes them easy to carry around.
Quiet, Auto Shut Off
- The digital display makes it very convenient to use
- It is very energy efficient
- Also functions as an air purifier and traps impurities in the water panel
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Setting the humidity levels is simple and straightforward
- Replacement water panels are expensive
4. MOVTIP Snow Mountain Cool Mist Humidifier
The Snow Mountian cool mist humidifier is an amazing choice for people looking for a portable device.
- Its small design allows you to take it anywhere.
- You get 2 mist modes. One spray for 6 continuous hours while the second one sprays for 12 hours with a 2-sec gap between each spray.
- With an auto shut-off feature, it automatically turns off if the water level is low.
- Comes with a strong seal so there is no chance of any leakage.
- There is only a single button present that is used for all the different functions.
Quiet, Auto Shut-Off
Silicone, Acrylonitrile Butadiene
Styrene, Metal, Polycarbonate
- Super Quiet
- Perfect for a small space
- Easy to use
- Refilling is really easy
- Powerful performance
- The top is difficult to screw back on
- Using essential oils clogs the cotton swab
Picking the Best Humidifier for Greenhouse
A greenhouse allows you to grow indoor plants even if the outside weather isn’t very optimal. For the plants to grow at the best possible rate, it is necessary to keep a good mist temperature. These are the factors that one should consider when choosing the best humidifiers for plants:
Type of Humidifier
Here’s what you need to know:
- The warm mist humidifier is the most common type. It basically heats up the water and turns it into water vapor. This causes the humidity level to increase in the area.
- On the other hand, an evaporative one creates water vapor with the help of airflow.
- An ultrasonic cool mist humidifier uses vibrations to produce water vapor. These produce the best quality mist.
Let’s check out the details on the area:
- If you have a small-medium area to cover then the best plant humidifier would be a small one.
- But if the area you live in is very dry and you have a large greenhouse, then it is best to invest in a large plant humidifier like AIRCARE MA1201.
Most of the best humidifiers for plants come with a refillable tank. It is great for normal use but if you have a large greenhouse, then it is best to choose one that has a direct connection to the water supply. In this case, you won’t need to refill the plant humidifier again.
Here are all the details on capacity:
- The tank size varies in all of the humidifiers and there is no particular size that is the best.
- If you have a small tank then it will require you to fill the humidifier frequently and have a shorter runtime.
It entirely depends upon your preference and whether or not, you’re fine with refilling each or prefer not to.
For details on usage, check out this video.
Why Do Greenhouse Plants Need Higher Humidity?
Plants evolve according to the environment they are present in. If the relative humidity in an area is high then the leaves of the plants don’t hold as much water.
This allows the plants to survive in areas with high humidity. There are also some plants that due to their weak roots can’t absorb a lot of groundwater.
Common Humidity Levels for Greenhouse
No two plants are the same and thus the humidity levels are different for all of them. Some common humidity levels for some plants are:
- Orchids – 40 to 70 percent.
- Ferns – 40 to 50 percent.
- Other plants – 40 to 60 percent.
Additional Highlights Why a Humidifier is Good for Plants?
These are some of the things that you should look forward to in a humidifier for plants:
1. Run Time
At the minimum, the runtime of the best plant humidifier should be around 12 hours. If you don’t want to refill it again then ideally, go for the one that has more than 24 hours of runtime.
2. Simple Design
You will need to use the humidifier regularly for plants, so choose one which is simplistic in design and function. It should be easy to maintain.
3. The Mist Temperature (Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier)
The health of the plants is not affected either by cool air or warmer air. But if the mist is hot, it purifies the water, thus making a better-quality mist.
One downside of these humidifiers for plants is that they use a bit more electricity. A cool one doesn’t need a lot of maintenance and also consumes less electricity.
Alternative Ways to Humidify Plants
A humidifier is not the only way to humidify plants. These are a few other methods that can also be used:
1. Keep Plants in the Bathroom
The bathroom is the most humid place in everyone’s house. So, it is a good idea to place some of your plants in there. In this way, you won’t be able to show off your plants but it will surely keep them humid.
2. Send Them for a Shower
Another way is to shower your plants. It is a good technique as it cleans the plants and also freshens them up. Make sure to use gentle pressure and avoid any damage to the plants.
3. Use Plant Watering Globes
Plant watering globes are a convenient and easy way to keep plants watered. They work by slowly releasing water into the soil, which helps to prevent overwatering and underwatering. With the help of plant watering globes, plants stay hydrated even if you’re away for an extended period of time.
4. Make a Moisture Tray
If putting all of the plants in one tray isn’t an issue then you can make a moisture tray. It is a good way to provide extra moisture to the plants. Before adding water, make sure to suspend the plants over pebbles to avoid any stink and rot.
5. Use a Diffuser
A diffuser is yet another great way to increase moisture levels. If you have a few plants then using a diffuser is the best option. However, in this way, the water evaporates a bit slower than in a humidifier.
So, after going through all of the humidifiers, the one that stands out as the best one is the Elechomes SH8830. Here are 8 reasons why you should choose it:
- Works as a warm and cool mist humidifier.
- Comes with a large tank capacity.
- Has the longest run time among all humidifiers.
- The rotatable nozzle provides mist coverage in all directions.
- The humidistat automatically adjusts the settings based on current levels.
- It is whisper-quiet and best suited for greenhouses.
- You can use essential oils for additional benefits.
- The price tag is also quite competitive.
Should I put a humidifier in my greenhouse?
Putting a humidifier in your greenhouse helps to maintain optimal humidity levels for plant growth, prevent wilting, and promote healthy growth.
What kind of humidifier is best for plants?
The best type of humidifier for plants is an ultrasonic humidifier because it produces a fine mist that’s easy for plants to absorb and doesn’t heat up the water, which could potentially harm the plants. It’s also energy-efficient and quiet, making it an ideal choice for use in a greenhouse.
How do I add humidity to my greenhouse?
To add humidity to your greenhouse, you can use a humidifier, or misting system, or place trays of water near the plants. Use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe down plant leaves or install a water feature like a fountain or pond.
What is the healthiest type of humidifier?
The healthiest type of humidifier is an evaporative humidifier because it uses natural evaporation to add moisture to the air. It doesn’t require the use of filters or chemicals.
What controls humidity in greenhouse?
Humidity in a greenhouse is controlled using various methods such as using a humidifier, ventilation system, misting system, or through an evaporative cooling system. A hygrometer is also used to monitor humidity levels and make necessary adjustments.
Choosing the best humidifier for your greenhouse holds great importance in determining the health and growth of your plants. You must also ensure proper placement, maintenance, and monitoring of the humidifier for it to function effectively.
We believe this guide has aided in your search for the optimal humidifier for your greenhouse, providing valuable insights and information to make an informed decision.
Have you used a humidifier in your greenhouse before, and if so, how has it impacted the growth and health of your plants?